Message to Birgitta Jónsdóttir and the people of Iceland...A message to Message to Birgitta Jónsdóttir and the people of Iceland:
Message to Birgitta Jónsdóttir and the people of Iceland
(for those that are unfamiliar with Birgitta, allow me to paste text from Wikipedia:
- Birgitta Jónsdóttir (born 17 April 1967) is a member of parliament of Althing, the Icelandic parliament, formerly representing the Citizens' Movement, but now representing The Movement. Her district is the Reykjavík South Constituency. She was elected to the Icelandic parliament in April 2009 on behalf of a movement aiming for democratic reform beyond party politics of left and right. Birgitta has been an activist and a spokesperson for various groups, such as Wikileaks, Saving Iceland, and Friends of Tibet in Iceland. She acts as a spokeswoman for the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative.
Life and Career: Born in Reykjavik, Birgitta is also a poet, writer, artist, editor, publisher, activist and has used the internet for these activities. Her first poetry collection was published when she was 22 years old by Iceland's biggest publisher, Almenna Bókafélagið, AB books, in 1989. Birgitta organized "Art against war" where a number of Icelandic artists and poets came out to protest the war in Iraq. Birgitta set up the first Icelandic online art gallery in 1996 for the Apple Shop in Iceland. Birgitta has participated in several international projects related to writing and activism including "Poets Against the War", "Dialogue among Nations through Poetry", and "Poets for Human Rights". She also edited and published the two international books, The World Healing Book and The Book of Hope which contains writings by Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Rita Dove, the Dalai Lama, Rabbi Michael Lerner, John Kinsella, and Sigur Rós. Birgitta is a founder of Beyond Borders Press and Radical Creations. Birgitta is a part of International Network of Parliamentarians for Tibet (INPaT)
Press freedom initiatives Birgitta was an active volunteer for Wikileaks and had an important role in the making of the Collateral Murder video, including co-production. She has advocated to make Iceland a haven for press freedom and is the chief sponsor of the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative.
Birgitta, you know why I am singling you out, but many in the US may not, yet. You have been a huge voice (the Mouse that Roared) not only in Iceland - in successfully leading the charge to rid your country of the infestation of the predatory international banking cartel - but also a huge voice for true freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and whistleblower protection - worldwide. Thank you from the depth of my heart for having the courage and the strength to stand nose-to-nose with the most powerful and nefarious forces on the planet - without backing down. You and the Icelandic Parliament, and the citizens of Iceland are a shining beacon for all the world to witness. I am honored to know you, even if just a little bit.
From a friend in Ireland, I recently received an excellent synopsis of the recent accomplishments of Iceland, which I will reprint here:
- No news from Iceland… why?
How come we hear everything that happens in Egypt but no news about what's happening in Iceland:
In Iceland, the people have made the government resign, the primary banks have been nationalized, it was decided to not pay the debt that these created with Great Britain and Holland due to their bad financial politics, and a public assembly has been created to rewrite the constitution. And all of this in a peaceful way. A whole revolution against the powers that have created the current crisis. This is why there hasn't been any publicity during the last two years: What would happen if the rest of the EU citizens took this as an example? What would happen if the US citizens took this as an example?
This is a summary of the facts:
- 2008. The main bank of the country is nationalized. The Krona, the currency of Iceland devaluates and the stock market stops. The country is in bankruptcy.
- 2008. The citizens protest in front of parliament and manage to get new elections that causes the resignation of the prime minister and his whole government. The country is in bad economic situation.
- A law proposes paying back the debt to Great Britain and Holland through the payment of 3,500 million euros, which will be paid by the people of Iceland monthly during the next 15 years, with a 5.5% interest.
- 2010. The people go out in the streets and demand a referendum. In January 2010 the president denies the approval and announces a popular meeting.
- In March the referendum and the denial of payment is voted in by 93%. Meanwhile the government has initiated an investigation to bring to justice those responsible for the crisis, and many high level executives and bankers are arrested. The Interpol dictates an order that make all the implicated parties leave the country.
- In this crisis an assembly is elected to rewrite a new Constitution which can include the lessons learned from this, and which will substitute the current one (a copy of the Danish Constitution). 25 citizens are chosen, with no political affiliation, out of the 522 candidates. For candidacy all that was needed was to be an adult and have the support of 30 people. The constitutional assembly starts in February of 2011 to present the 'carta magna' from the recommendations given by the different assemblies happening throughout the country. It must be approved by the current Parliament and by the one constituted through the next legislative elections.
- resignation of the whole government
- nationalization of the bank.
- referendum so that the people can decide over the economic decisions.
- incarcerating the responsible parties
- rewriting of the constitution by its people
Again, to the Icelandic people, and especially to the brave woman with the soul of a poet who has proven the 'power of the pen' and of the mind, proven what a brilliant non-violent strategy can do - my deepest and most heartfelt thanks.
Birgitta, you have been a great inspiration to me, to keep pushing forward with the task of writing (and re-writing) The Reset Button. Your spirit and your voice resonate in me, and in the The Reset Button document.
With love, and in solidarity,
Dennis T Leahy
Please read, sign, and spread The Reset Button. Step 1 is actively causing it to immediately 'go viral.' This is critical, and needs everyone's help - even non-US citizens. Please.